Saturday, 23rd February 2018
9:15am – 12:30pm
KZNSA Gallery, Glenwood, Durban
Love seeing all those beautiful hand drawn, brush lettered quotes on Instagram and Pinterest? This brush lettering workshop is your chance to learn how to create that magic yourself!
This course is for you if…
• you’re in a creative field and are looking to increase your skills and up your game to take your work to the next level
• you’re in a creative day job but don’t have time to be creative on your own – this will help reignite your creative spark
• you aren’t in a creative field but love making stuff, getting crafty and learning new skills
• you just want to attend an inspiring event that’s out of the norm to gain a new skill and meet new like-minded people while having fun
• you’d like to find a new de-stressing activity
No prior experience required!
• A brief introduction to watercolours, brush lettering, and overview of the workshop
• Explanation of the different tools and uses
• Demonstration of techniques, followed by practice time
• Brief demonstration of “fauxligraphy” – calligraphic lettering done with normal pens
• Warm up and practice while learning how to use your tools and the techniques to achieve the right look
• Moving from practicing shapes to working with letterforms and words
• Working on your chosen phrase (which you’ll choose beforehand) to create a complete mini brush lettered composition for yourself
• A watercolour brush lettering starter kit worth R450 (includes watercolour paint, ink, paint brush, Aquash brush, watercolour paper pad, practice sheets, personalised details)
• A workbook which will contain the main points from the class for you to refer to afterwards, space for your own notes, practice sheets, visual references and guides.
What you’ll take away
• A more than basic knowledge of brush lettering and all the tools and techniques you’ll be using
• Practical skills with watercolours and brush lettering to up your game in your personal or professional work
• Your own brush lettered quote piece created with your own hands
• Your brush lettering starter pack of art materials to keep you creating once you leave
• An inspirational experience learning with other like-minded creative individuals
Instructor: Fathima Kathrada
After over ten years in the creative industry and over six years working with illustration and hand lettering, I’m excited to be able to share the skills I’ve gained and crafted with others who’d like to be able to create beautiful things, while bringing people together for an inspiring experience.
I can’t wait to see you there! 🙂
If paying via bank transfer, please make sure to pay on the same day that you book as this confirms your booking.